If you’re looking for a showstopping cake, then this vanilla buttercream version is perfect for the family, a picnic with friends or your next big hot date at home,
Phoebe Conway says, “Whether or not you are celebrating Valentine’s day, I think we all deserve some more cake in our lives! This cake is beautifully light and spongy with a delicious vanilla flavour thanks to the Califia Farms Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk that I used in the batter. It is also totally vegan so perfect for everyone! I made a chia seed jam to go in the middle but it would be just as delicious without this step too. Then have some fun decorating your creation!”
Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Cake Recipe
- 3 cups of plain flour (408g)
- 2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup raw sugar
- ¼ cup erythritol + stevia blend (such as natvia)
- 2 cups Califia Farms Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup avocado oil
- 200g vegan butter
- 300g icing sugar (can sub in some monk fruit icing sugar to reduce sugar content too)
- 1 tbsp Califia Farms Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Juice of half an orange
- Berries, sprinkles flowers etc to decorate
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a heart shaped tin with oil and baking paper – if you have two of the same tins line them both!
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine
- Do the same with the wet ingredients then pour this into the dry mixture, fold to combine
- Pour half into the lined cake tin (or divide between 2 tins) and bake for 25 minutes or until just golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Repeat with the other half of the mixture. Allow both cakes to cool fully
- Use an electric mixer to beat together the vegan butter, until smooth and light.
- Spread some of the butter cream on top of one of the cakes, then spread a few tbsp of the chia seed jam on top of that. Place the second cake on top with the flat bottom side on top. Use the buttercream to coat the top and sides of the cakes evenly, you may not need it all.
- Place into the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up before decorating with berries etc! Enjoy with someone you love!
About Phoebe Conway
Phoebe Conway is a nutritionist and food stylist/photographer from Adelaide. Follow her Instagram here: @pheebsfoods