You can get into the Halloween spirit with Oreo Truffle Eyeballs. Almost too realistic to eat and made with McKenzie’s Fine Desiccated Coconut you’ll have to keep your eye on this one as they’ll be snatched up quickly!
Oreo Truffle Eyeballs Recipe
Preparation Time: 30-40 minutes
Cook Time: n/a
Makes: 30 eyeballs
- 370g pack Oreo cookies (or cookies of your choice)
- 1 cup McKenzie’s Fine Desiccated Coconut
- 395g tin condensed milk
- 300g white fondant
- 60g red fondant
- 50g black fondant
- 30 candy eyes
- Edible black marker
- In a food processor, blitz the Oreos until fine crumbs are formed. Empty crushed biscuits into a bowl, then add coconut and condensed milk. Combine well with a wooden spoon. If the mixture is slightly soft, add 1-2 tablespoons more coconut.
- Roll a tablespoon amount of mixture into round eyeball shapes. Place onto a tray lined with baking paper and place into the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- Place white fondant onto a clean bench surface or baking mat dusted with icing sugar. Roll out the fondant at about 2mm in thickness, enough to encase the Oreo ball all the way around. Gently use your fingers to mould the fondant around the ball and close any gaps to totally encase the eyeball with the white fondant. Set aside on a tray while encasing the remainder of the balls.
- Roll out the red and black fondant at about 2mm in thickness and with a 2cm round cutter, cut out 30 red rounds and with a 1cm round cutter, cut out 30 black rounds.
- To each eyeball, place on the red round. Then layer on the black round for the iris, followed by a candy eye for the centre of each ball. A very small amount of water is required to attach each fondant disc and the candy eye.
- Using an edible black marker, place some squiggles around each iris to appear bloodshot.