The Selfie Lab in an immersive experience where you can take photographs and selfies. Essentially there are mini themed rooms – just big enough to take a good shot.
There are 16 colourful rooms suitable for taking shots with your smartphone and uploading them to your favourite social media platform.
Selfie Lab List of Themed Rooms
The Selfie Lab currently features the following rooms:
- Pink traditional chair and stool
- Two swings with a rainbow background
- Palm Springs motel foyer with suitcases
- A 1980s style bedroom
- A 1970s themed room with a brown and pink floral wall and VW van you can drive, or sit on pink stools in front of a love is love wall mural.
- A 1950s retro diner with two bench seats. There is colourful food advertising on one wall and records on the other side.
- A wall of teddy bears and giant teddy bears
- Ball pool with inflatable flamingos
- A moon and stars
- A present box
- A round portal you can poke your head through
- A feminine gold frame with floral wallpaper, and a pink faux door
- Red glittering wall
- An old-school wooden desk and bench chairs, with pastel lockers and a ruler and red oversized pencil. You might like to line the kids up next to the ruler to measure their current height.
- A purple themed laundromat with three washing machines with a washing up basket
- Selfie doll boxes
Many of the rooms have cute neon signs. Don’t forget you can use the plain walls as well. It’s your chance to get creative. Make sure your mobile phone or camera is fully charged.
My only advice is to take more photos than you think you’ll need. All good photographers know that you might need to take 20 photos to get one good one. Experiment with landscape and portrait photos. Try taking photographs as headshots, waist-high and full body shots. Play around with different poses, and dance to the music.
You might like to wear cosplay or retro or a ballgown. Pop a couple of props or accessories like glasses or hats in a small bag. There are really no rules.
There are two spaces where you can do a quick costume change. My friend packed her outfits in two shopping bags with shoes and was able to fit in two changes. There is a small mirror for checking your makeup.
We visited the Selfie Lab in the first time slot and it started to get busy at the end. You might need to be patient while you wait for other people to take their shot.
There is a tuckshop full of sweets, if you need some sugar to fuel your photos.
Please note that selfie sticks and tripods are not allowed. It’s best to bring only essentials, as there is no bag cloaking.
Sugar Republic’s Selfie Lab is a popup art and photography experience at Westfield Chermside. It’s on the second floor, opposite UNIQLO.
Bookings are essential.
About Sugar Republic’s Selfie Lab
When? From 24 June for seven months
Where? Westfield Chermside, Cnr Gympie & Hamilton Roads, Chermside, Level 2, opposite UNIQLO.
Sugar Republic’s Selfie Lab website: https://sugarrepublic.com.au/pages/brisbane