A hearty and authentic recipe for a filling soup to warm you up.
Istrian minestrone recipe
1 can borlotti beans
1 smoked pork hock
1 cup diced soup vegetables – carrots, swede, turnip …
1 small tin sweetcorn
1 bay leaf
1 cup small pasta shells
3 tbsp cooking oil
1 large onion, diced
1 can peeled tomatoes
2 tbsp vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add the pork and cover with water to cook over medium-heat. When the pot comes to the boil, remove from heat and drain the water. Add fresh water to cover the pork hock, diced soup vegetables, corn and bay leaf. Simmer for at least 2 hours to allow the flavours to develop.
- After an hour and a half, cook the pasta separately.
- Heat the oil in a separate frying pan over medium heat and brown the onion. Add tomatoes and borlotti beans, stir briefly and add to the soup along with the cooked pasta.
- Stir in the vinegar before serving. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pork hock, cut it into smaller pieces and return to the soup.