This is a lovely recipe that is great to make with fresh market ingredients. It is quick and easy to create. I adore the taste of heirloom tomatoes, so these are worth looking out for.
Tomato Carpaccio Recipe
Makes 2-3 servings
- 2 large red heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (variety of colours)
- 1 large mozzarella ball
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- 1 crop of Pak Choi microgreens
- 2 Tbsp balsamic glaze
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- Thinly slice tomatoes and arrange on a flat plate.
- Sprinkle with pistachios and dot on torn pieces of mozzarella.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic glaze and add a light sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste. Finally, top with your freshly harvested Pak Choi microgreens.
- Optionally serve with slices or torn fresh bread.
Recipe adapted by Micropod from Jamie Oliver
Micropod was founded by four friends in 2017. It began when CEO Jeff Xu had tried to grow microgreens after hearing about the superfood’s exceptionally high nutritional value and unique flavour profiles. Cultivating microgreens from scratch proved tedious and time-consuming for Jeff, an engineer, so he set out to design the perfect way to grow them at home. He enlisted the help of friends Brian Lai, Oliver McDermott and Jonathan Good, who combined their design and entrepreneurial expertise to develop the initial idea. Numerous trials and refinements later, Micropod was born.
Since launching in New Zealand in February 2019, Kiwis all over the country embraced not only the Micropod but also the deeper values of growing their own fresh, spray-free, and sustainable food. In late 2020, Micropod launched in Australia with more countries on the horizon soon. As the start-up continues to grow, it hopes to encourage people to become more conscious of where their food comes from while maintaining a focus on caring for the planet.