We tested out a five meal HelloFresh box for two people. HelloFresh is a meal kit subscription service that aims to help people enjoy wholesome, home-made meals with no preparing, no shopping and no hassle.
It is a great way to try new cooking techniques and expand your dinner menu options. The ingredients are from Aussie suppliers and are locally sourced, grown and raised.
HelloFresh arrived in a large brown box with freezer bags. Each meal was clearly labelled in a brown meal kit bag. Simply take the meat and sensitive ingredients out of the cool pouch and place in the fridge.
We tried one of their gourmet recipes – Sirloin steak and peppercorn sauce with truffle fries and garlic kale, as well as one of the ‘Dinner to Lunch’ options – chilli con chicken with coriander tortilla chips. Both you can get for only $5.95 extra per person. The chilli con chicken could be converted into a lunch meal as cheesy chilli chicken rice bowl.
We also selected a few other options from their regular menu – Greek-style lamb rissoles with pita salad and tzatziki, Southern crumbed pork and creamy slaw with sweet potato wedges, Creole chicken and roast veggie rice bowl and pan-seared salmon with Chermoula couscous and Dijon yogurt.
- Easy dinner preparation for disorganised or indecisive people
- Perfect for working couples and families
- Fresh vegetables and healthy meals
- The ingredients are in perfect portion sizes so you’ll have less waste
- While the packaging is mostly paper-based and compostable, there are quite a few single-use pieces.
- It’s hard to tell what is in each bag without opening them.
- You need to stock up your cupboard with basic groceries and decide what to eat for breakfast and lunches.
I also wanted to try their snack box, which they offer as one of the add-ons. My snacks-to-go box contained delicious Brookfarm nightcap ranges walkabout mix, The Happy Snack company’s roasted fava beans, Thinkfood’s mini almond and cranberry munches.
You can cancel your plan in the settings or just skip the weeks when you are away from home.
If you want to try HelloFresh yourself, click here and use the code BRISBANISTA to receive $35 off your first order.