Advantages of Australian Native Stingless Bees
The advantages of native stingless bees are that they do not sting and as a result, you need less equipment. The stingless bees help to pollinate the flowers in your garden, which is essential for many fruits and vegetables.
Native bees produce amazing tasting honey but only a small amount (less than 1 kg per hive per year). It’s considered a luxury selling from $200 to $250 per kilogram.
There is no legal requirement to register hives of native bees in Australia.
Aussie native stingless bees are available around Brisbane from the following places:
(Common in southern Queensland and NSW)
Vince Ashe – Crows Nest (in logs)
Phone: 07 4698 1701
Peter Davenport – Elanora (in boxes)
Phone: 07 5533 9383
Tony Goodrich – Brisbane (in boxes)
Also supplies OATH hive boxes
Phone: 07 3878 2322
Mobile: 0449 746 970
My City Garden – The Gap
A 3 tiered hive, tin lid, 2 x honey collection pots, 2 x straps, 2 x black stoppers and approx 5000 funky little bees for $425.
Phone: 0435 226 912
Don Riding – Clear Mountain (in boxes)
Phone: 07 3298 5253
Customer to pick up hives
John Waters, Bardon (in boxes)
Phone: 07 3870 8664
Col Webb – Brassall (in logs & boxes)
Phone: 07 3201 7083
Recommended Native Bee Books
- Australian Stingless Bees: a Guide to Sugarbag Keeping by John Klumpp – great introduction with lots of photographs
- The Australian Native Bee Book by Tim Heard – this one is the essential bible!
- ANBees – an active forum for discussions on all sorts of Australian native bee topics
- Aussie Bee – Australian Native Bee Research Centre
- Bob the Beeman – rescues and relocates colonies of Native Stingless Bees