Here are some ideas for throwing an Oscar Party at home.
Decorating with an Oscars Theme
- Add some fun gold Oscar trophies around the room
- Go with a glamorous 50s theme of old Hollywood
- A suggested colour palette for the decor is gold, white and black with lots of old-fashioned crystal
- Select a gold runner on a black tablecloth for the buffet for a stunning look.
- Tie plain white napkins with gold ribbon
- Wrap up the popcorn in colourful cup wrap (printable)
Professional Oscar Party Advice
Roxanne, from Lovely Occasions and Styled Events, has some additional suggestions:
Set the Scene
Really set the scene and give your guests the red carpet treatment with a faux red carpet to glam up the occasion. Smile for the paparazzi with a fun themed photo booth! So easy to set up with a gold backdrop and a few printable props. Buy your Gold Foil curtain backdrop.
Glam Candy Bar
A Popcorn Bar is a great idea for an Oscars party, have your guests help themselves and create their own mix with a variety of toppings and flavours. Dress it up with gold partyware, personalised chocolate bars and mini sparkling piccolos and bottles of soft drink.
For a savoury option, you can’t go past a grazing platter with sumptuous dips, crackers, cheese, nuts and savoury delights. Here’s a great article on creating a show-stopping cheese platter from an award-winning Cheesemonger.
Make it a Girls Night In!
For something a little different, host a fabulous night in and leave the ballgowns and sky-high heels to the stars! Think glamorous satin pajamas, mani-pedis, face masks, champagne and lots of Oscars red carpet critiques.
Let everyone fill in their guesses of who will win awards on a ballot before the show starts. The guest with the largest number of correct answers receives a bottle of champagne or a similar prize.
The official Oscar website has a list of all of the nominations.
What to Serve
Food and drink ideas for an Oscar party:
- Mini hot dogs, pigs in blankets, and meatballs
- Mini savoury muffins
- Drinks with gold sugar rim glasses
- Ice cream scopes with chocolate topping in cones
- Sweets bar with gold treat bags to take home
Oscars Party Playlist
The music playlist could be made up of best song nominations from past years like:
- “Take My Breath Away,” Top Gun (1986)
- “My Heart Will Go On,” Titanic (1997)
- “Skyfall,” Skyfall (2012)
- “Philadelphia” from Philalephia (1993)
- “Let the River Run” from Working Girl (1988)
- “Endless Love” from Endless Love (1981)
- “Nobody Does it Better” from The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
- “Moon River” from Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)
Watch The Oscars at the Cinemas
If you wanted to celebrate in style, head to the cinemas to watch the winners:
- Live at The Elizabeth Picture Theatre
- Re-Broadcast at New Farm Cinemas
$9 Entry ticket comes with a free beverage and everyone who dresses for the occasion will receive a free popcorn! Smarten up your bow tie, put on your heels, and join us on the biggest night of the year in the movies industry.
What are your predictions for this years Oscar winners?