If you’re looking for something a little bit different to do with the family, why not visit a camel farm? Summer Land Camels is located in Harrisville, a 50 minute drive from Brisbane. We recently spent a few hours there with the kids and not only did they have a blast, they learnt heaps of camel facts!
Summer Land Camels is Australia’s largest camel dairy farm and was built out of owner Jeff’s search for answers to his son’s eczema. Jeff discovered the huge benefits of camel milk, it’s healing properties and the value it has to help people with other health issues.
Camel milk is lactose free and is rich in vitamins and minerals, making it second only to human milk. It can help cure diabetics as it contains insulin and reduces the blood glucose level. It has high α-hydroxyl acids which smooths the skin and treat eczema and psoriasis.
People have been milking camel milk for 12000 years, so it’s not exactly a new thing.
Last week, during Eat Local Week, the farm was open to free tours, camel rides and camel product tastings. Summer Land Camels produces their own cheeses, gelato and skincare range all on site. You can choose from a range of tours or rides via https://summerlandcamels.com.au/
Fun Facts about Camels:
- Camels don’t spit! It is their cousin the alpacas who does that.
- Camels have 3 eyelids, one of them is a transparent membrane that helps them see in sandstorms. Just like wearing contact lenses!
- Camels are very good swimmers and can close their nostrils.
- They can carry up to 600kg on their back, the record was 1200kg.
- Camels can tell if you are a girl or a boy.
- Camel meat contains three times more omega 3 than fish.
- Camels originated from North America.
- They can go without water for up to 6 weeks.
About Sumer Land Camels
Summer Land Camels is located at 32 Charles Chauvel Drive, Harrisville QLD 4307