Here’s a beautiful and delicious looking strawberry recipe created by Megann Evans. It’s ideal for your next party with family or friends at home.
Did you know that strawberries alone contains approximately 150% of your daily nutritional requirement of Vitamin C as well as huge amounts of folate which helps keep the immune system pumping well?
Strawberry Galette Recipe
250g plain flour
125g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
100g caster sugar
1 egg yolks
A pinch of salt
3-4 Tbs chilled water
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
50g Almond meal
50g caster sugar
1 tablespoon plain flour
500g strawberries, hulled and sliced
80g caster sugar
Zest of ½ lemon
Squeeze of lemon juice
2 tablespoon corn flour
1 Tbs milk
sprinkle of raw sugar or light brown sugar
Cream or Ice-cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the flour, butter, sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse in the food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the two egg yolks and vanilla bean paste whilst blending, then add 3-4 Tbs of chilled water until the mixture comes together.
- When the mixture just combines, stop the processor and form a disc in your hands. Wrap in cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the strawberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and cornflour into a bowl and toss to combine. Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured sheet of baking paper on a benchtop to shape of approx 35-40cm circle and around 3-4mm thick.
- Sprinkle the almond base over the centre of the pastry.
- Arrange the strawberry mixture on top, in the centre of the pastry, leaving a 5cm border around the edge. Softly fold the pastry edges over the strawberry mixture. Gently transfer the galette, on the paper, onto a baking tray and place in the pastry for 15 minutes (this allows it to hold its shape better in the oven).
- Combine egg and milk in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush over the edges of the pastry and then sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 mins or until lightly golden. Brush the strawberry mixture with any tray juices.
- Transfer the galette to a serving plate. Sprinkle with pistachios. Serve warm with desired toppings.
Serves: 6-8 people
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
About Queensland Strawberries
Queensland is the largest supply area of strawberries in Australia, featuring over 100 growers across the state with over 41% of all fruit coming from Queensland. The association of Queensland Strawberry Growers (QSGA) was formed to represent the commercial strawberry growers of Queensland. The QSGA is a “not for profit” membership-based organisation that provides a range of services to their members and the broader industry to encourage growth and development, with the aim of providing a healthy, profitable and safe product for consumers. For more information about Queensland Strawberries visit: qldstrawberries.com.au