After a successful partnership last year, Otway Pork is proud to announce a second collaboration with Australian
cook, author and TV presenter Justine Schofield. Here’s her crowd-favourite recipe for pulled-pork rolls.
Pulled Pork Rolls Recipe
Prep: 20 minutes Cooking: 2 1/2 hours
Serves 6 people
- tablespoon olive oil
- 1 x 2kg Otway Pork shoulder, deboned
- 2 dill pickles, sliced into rounds
- 6 seeded milk or brioche buns
- 200g good-quality barbecue sauce
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar (plus an extra splash for the slaw)
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs smoked paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 small white cabbage (about 250g), shredded
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 granny smith apple, julienned
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the pork from the fridge 1 hour before cooking. Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a jug, then mix in 500ml (2 cups) of hot water. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole pan over high heat. Sear the pork all over for 8–10 minutes until browned. Pour over the sauce and turn to coat the pork. Place a piece of baking paper cut to fit the pan on top, then cover with the lid. Transfer to the oven and cook for 2–2 1/2 hours, turning halfway through until the meat is meltingly tender.
- Remove the pork from oven and shred with two forks while also folding through sauce.
- To make the slaw, mix the cabbage, carrot, onion and apple in a bowl. Mix the mayonnaise and an extra splash of
apple cider vinegar with a pinch of salt and pepper. At the last minute, so it stays crunchy, toss the slaw with the dressing.
- Serve the saucy pulled pork with the slaw and pickles in the buns.
About Otaway Pork
Otway Pork is a 100% Australian-owned and operated company, founded in 1999 by a group of leading agricultural experts with the specific aim of bringing outdoor pig production to Australia. Today, Otway Pork has built upon
its original philosophy and is proudly the country’s largest outdoor pork producer.
What started off as two farms west of Geelong, has now expanded to seven farms throughout Western Victoria, with each farm maintaining Otway Pork’s unwavering commitment to producing the finest tasting pork.
Otway Pork offers a range of premium pure pork cuts – think bacon, belly, fillets, shoulder, cutlers, tenderloins and scotch roasts. But the crème de la crème would have to be their traditional leg hams that make for the perfect Christmas centrepiece.
Otway Pork is ‘Australian Certified Outdoor Bred’ with the pigs raised in straw-lined shelters. Only five per cent of sows in Australia are ‘Outdoor Bred: Raised Indoors on Straw.’ Like free-range, all adult breeding sows live in open spaces with access to shelter.
Otway Pork take pride in their well-established animal welfare and farming methods, achieving compliance to all relevant Australian standards.
Otway Pork uses select pig breeds, including Duroc for leanness and taste. They only farm and sell female pigs (highly unusual in the Australian market). Otway Pork pigs thrive on a tailored natural grain-based diet.
For more information and to view the complete range of products and stockists, visit Otaway Pork website: https://otwaypork.com.au/