This year marks the 25th anniversary of World Egg Day. This Friday the 8th of October, Australian Eggs is helping Aussies celebrate from the comfort of their own homes with some recipes from their favourite restaurants. A big thanks to Miss Claudes Crepes for sharing their Lemon Meringue Crepes recipe.
Lemon Meringue Crepes Recipe
- 4 x egg yolks
- 250g caster sugar
- 125ml lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- 125g unsalted butter, diced
- 4 large eggs
- 500g plain flour
- 1L full cream milk
- 1½ tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice bran or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Meringue pieces
- Raspberry coulis
How to make the lemon curd
- Dice the butter and set aside in the fridge.
- Add water to a saucepan and heat to simmer.
- Place a stainless steel or glass bowl on the simmering saucepan (double boiler) and add the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind into the bowl and whisk continually.
- Slowly add the cold diced butter and stir continually until all butter is added and melted.
- The curd is ready when you run a finger along the back of a spoon dipped in the curd and it stays separated.
- Strain/sieve into a jug or bowl.
How to make the crepe
- Add eggs, oil and half of the milk into mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and salt into the bowl then add the flour slowly whilst mixing thoroughly.
- Once the batter is smooth, add the remaining milk and mix together.
- Set aside to rest.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat. You can add butter or oil if preferred or if you’re using a regular frying fan.
- Ladle approximately 100ml of batter and swirl the pan so it spreads around the pan. Flip the crepe once the first side is golden brown. It should take approximately 2 minutes to cook on each side.
Putting the dish together
- Spoon the lemon curd into a crepe, fold and serve with mini meringues and raspberry coulis.
Tip: you can serve with ice cream or cream for extra pizzazz!