Halloween is growing in popularity in Australia where it’s less about trick and treating and more about dressing up and having a small party at home or at work.
Halloween Party decorations
You can get started with Halloween party decorations by purchasing some themed paper plates and napkins. I purchased some black cobweb ones from my local grocery shop. Please try to reuse your plastic decorations or try the second shop first. There’s enough plastic in the world.
- Spotlight has a good range of spooky masks, accessories and decorations. You’ll find a range of spiders, garlands, weapons, treat baskets and bags. You might like to slash out on a black Halloween themed tablecloth with witches and ghosts.
If you are keen to try carving a pumpkin, here’s some tips and tricks to help you get started:
Please avoid hanging up flickering or bright lights on the verge or near your neighbour’s windows.
Halloween Party Catering
Here are some Halloween themed food for catering your party
- Homemade bat, ghosts and pumpkin shaped biscuits
- Banana ghosts – half banana on sticks with melted white chocolate and mini chocolate drops as eyes.
- Add some candy eyeballs to chocolate brownie squares, or decorate cupcakes with spiders and spider webs
- White meringues make good ghost bases
- For easy ideas, just buy pumpkin scones and serve with cream and jam. Add big serving bowls of Allsorts liquorice, bullets, Sherbies, Fantails, Minties, Redskins and of course, snakes
- Look out for Bat Migration beer from Boiling Pot Brewing Co, a local brewer based at Noosa Heads.
Halloween Costume Ideas
- ASOS has lots of cool ideas for your Halloween costume ideas. Think red blood glitter tears stickers, face paint, SFX spray blood, skin rip transfer tattoos, SFX scar putty, and skull face jewels.
- Fashion Nova has devoted Halloween section including women’s costumes to dress up as a playboy bunny, naughty nun, queen of evil, catsuit, glow in the dark skeleton, policewoman, red devil, cowgirl, ninja, racing, pirate, mermaid, princess, cosplay, and angel. There are lots of accessories like hats, stockings, gloves, props and wigs to complete your look from head to toe. Men can dress up as a policeman, captain, pirate, ringmaster and more.
You might like to celebrate Halloween with a film marathon with some of these films:
A sneak peak at these upcoming film releases:
Malignant is the latest creation from Conjuring universe architect James Wan (Aquaman, Furious 7). The film marks director Wan’s return to his roots with this new original horror thriller. In the film, Madison is paralyzed by shocking visions of grisly murders, and her torment worsens as she discovers that these waking dreams are in fact terrifying realities. Release date 21 October 2021.
Minutes after Laurie Strode (Curtis), her daughter Karen (Judy Greer) and granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak) left masked monster Michael Myers caged and burning in Laurie’s basement, Laurie is rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, believing she finally killed her lifelong tormentor. But when Michael manages to free himself from Laurie’s trap, his ritual bloodbath resumes. As Laurie fights her pain and prepares to defend herself against him, she inspires all of Haddonfield to rise up against their unstoppable monster. The Strode women join a group of other survivors of Michael’s first rampage who decide to take matters into their own hands, forming a vigilante mob that sets out to hunt Michael down, once and for all. #HalloweenKills Release date 28 October 2021.
Please leave a comment and let us know how you celebrate Halloween and any annual traditions you might have.