The Home Edit team have hosted a popular television show on Netflix, which is set to return in September. They have authored two bestselling books and have helped to kickstart the trend for home organisation and deep cleaning. When your house is clutter-free and you have a place for everything, spending time at home is more likely to energize and refresh you.
The Home Edit team, Joanna Teplin and Clea Shearer have shared some helpful tips on how to get started with home organisation:
1. Don’t confuse cleaning with organizing. Make sure to take the time to think through your habits, your home, and your lifestyle so you can create smart solutions that you’ll be able to maintain.
2. Once you create a functional system, it comes down to the 80/20 philosophy: Keep your home no more than 80 percent full, and reserve at least 20 percent for breathing room. Once items start spilling out of the system you have in place, they won’t have a home and that’s where clutter builds.
3. Label your categories, or sort by colour, which is a labelling system in itself! Labels provide a user-friendly road map to where items are found and where they belong.
4. Consider who is using the space. Where and how you position your zones is key to successful maintenance. For instance, do you need to keep items on low shelves for your kids to reach by themselves, or on a high shelf out of their reach?
5. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you contain your items. It doesn’t matter what kind of container that is. Everything just needs a home. Containers create zones, and zones create systems! They not only give items a designated space, but they also hold you accountable for not exceeding that space.
6. If the system isn’t working for you, switch it up so it does. Since new items will be added, it’s important to set aside some time each month to check in and purge anything that isn’t necessary.
7. Start every project with an edit. This means removing every item from the space, grouping them into categories, and purging what you no longer want or need. Only then can you decide on a functional system that best fits your space and the items that live there.
Please leave a comment and let us know your home organisation tips and tricks?
About Get Organized with The Home Edit
Join Clea Shearer and Joanna Teplin, the master organizers and bestselling authors behind the innovative home organization company The Home Edit as they bring their skills to their new Netflix lifestyle series, Get Organized with The Home Edit. Over eight episodes, Shearer and Teplin conquer clutter with their unique brand of interior styling, practicality and humour, dramatically transforming the lives of their featured clients. From their home state of Tennessee, to New York and California, each episode dives into an organizational project for a celebrity and a civilian, while showcasing the influential duo’s unique form-meets-function approach providing inspiration to every aspirational organizer. Celebrity clients featured in the series include Reese Witherspoon, Rachel Zoe, Khloe Kardashian, Eva Longoria, Marietta “Retta” Sirleaf, Neil Patrick Harris, David Burtka, Jordana Brewster, and Kane and Katelyn Brown. #getorganised https://www.thehomeedit.com/
Get Organized with The Home Edit is executive produced by Hello Sunshine’s Reese Witherspoon, Charlotte Koh, and Cynthia Stockhammer; and Critical Content’s Tom Forman, Jenny Daly, and Jon Beyer; Molly Sims; along with showrunner Tess Gamboa Meyers.