Paniyiri Greek Festival
22 May - 23 May
The honey puffs will be sweet and the Zorba just as fun, however this year Paniyiri Greek Festival won’t be celebrated on Musgrave Park with tens of thousands in attendance. In 2021 the 45th Paniyiri Greek Festival will be celebrated over the weekend of May 22 and 23 within The Greek Club precinct and online; the program a combination of real, virtual and live-streamed experiences that will deliver the essence of Queensland’s favourite cultural celebration in a COVID-safe way.
Paniyiri Organising Committee Chair Mr Chris Kazonis said the decision to change the format was a direct result of operating in a COVID-19 world. “Paniyiri Greek Festival is a community initiative of the Greek Orthodox communities of South East Queensland with any funds raised channelled back into the community via the Greek Orthodox Community of St George Brisbane. We stage this incredible event by the grace of our community and our sponsors, and have had to adapt to a format that protects us against any future lockdowns, yet still allows us to share our incredible culture, flavours, music, dance and history with greater Brisbane,” he said.
Entry to The Greek Club precinct will be free, with many events also free of charge, along with some ticketed experiences.
This year, Paniyiri Greek Festival experiences will include:
- A full program of cooking demonstrations, cultural exhibitions and lectures, dance performances and food events LIVE and with audiences at The Greek Club – these will be ticketed, some costed and others free of charge to attend.
- All key events at The Greek Club will be live-streamed.
- A dedicated program of cooking demonstrations featuring celebrity chefs, Greek cooks and well known Brisbane identities will be staged LIVE and live-streamed.
- A program of Greek Dancing will be live-streamed, featuring celebrity dancers and the Hellenic Dancers.
- Music sets will be performed LIVE and live-streamed.
- A Honeypuff Drive-Through will be located within The Greek Club precinct!
- Fashion Parade on Friday night, Greek Taverna on Saturday evening
- Nostimo Restaurant at The Greek Club will celebrate Paniyiri for the whole month of May with lunch and dinner specials.
More information will be announced in the coming weeks, with tickets to go on sale for Greek Club events on Monday, May 3 at 9 am.
About Paniyiri Greek Festival
Paniyiri is Queensland’s signature celebration of all things Greek and the state’s largest cultural festival as well as the country’s longest-running Greek festival. Over four decades Paniyiri has grown to become Brisbane’s favourite cultural celebration, famously taking place on the third weekend n May annually. An admirable success story for the celebration that started in 1976 when a group of passionate Greek Australians wanted to share their cultural traditions with Brisbane.