- This event has passed.
5 June @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm$95
Wax resist painting existed in Egypt in the 4th Century BC. However, the art of BATIK is most highly developed in the island of Java in Indonesia.
The workshop over 4 hrs includes:
- Drawing. Don’t be scared you can trace.
- Waxing. You’ll slide into it – how to apply hot wax using a traditional Indonesian etching tool, a tjanting.
- Lunch. Please bring a plate to share.
- Painting. You’ll surprise yourself. Learn about colour mixing and brush control.
This step by step approach of the workshop creates a relaxed environment with NO pressure but with amazing results. This workshop is for all levels and no experience is necessary.
You will learn the ancient process of BATIK and take home a beautifully unique art work.
WENDY FISHER trained at Griffith Universities College of Art and completed her education degree at QUT before commencing a 25yr career teaching secondary and TAFE students . After an amazing opportunity to study BATIK in THAILAND and work with an exhibiting traditional BATIK artist, BATIK WORKSHOP was born. In 2017 I have continued my studies in Thailand with an advanced BATIK workshop and most recently a live-in workshop in Kuala Lumpur 2018.
- Colour mixing and brush control
- Applying hot wax using a TJANTING – a traditional Indonesian tool
- Basic fabric painting and dying techniques
- Work in a relaxed tropical suburban home being taught by artist Wendy Fisher.
- Assorted beverages
- Create your own beautiful T-shirt, apron, cushion and much more.
- All materials will be supplied.
- All materials will be supplied
- An apron/old shirt
- Lunch – plate to share
Adults and teenagers ages 15 and up