Amazing Australian Women – Twelve Women Who Shaped History – by Pamela Freeman and Sophie Beer is a bright and colourful children’s non-fiction book. It looks at twelve outstanding Australian women who helped influence our country.
These incredible Australian women have made our world a better place and deserve our respect and admiration. They are the battlers, who set a precedent for the scientists, teachers, doctors, entertainers, politicians, athletes, artists, entrepreneurs, activists and innovators of Australia today.
The women featured are:
- Mary Reibey, convict and businesswoman (1777 – 1855)
- Tarenore, Indigenous resistance fighter (C.1800 – 1831)
- Mary Lee, suffragist (1821 – 1909)
- Nellie Melba, opera singer (1861 – 1931)
- Edith Cowan, politician (1861 – 1932)
- Tilly Aston, teacher, writer and disability activist (1873 – 1947)
- Rose Quong, actress, lecturer and writer (1879 – 1972)
- Elizabeth Kenny, nurse and medical innovator (1880 – 1952)
- Annette Kellerman, swimmer and movie star (1887 – 1975)
- Lores Bonney, aviation pioneer (1897 – 1994)
- Emily Kame Kngwarreye, artist (1910 – 1996)
- Ruby Payne-Scott, scientist (1912 – 1981)
This book is a delightful way to introduce young readers to the remarkable women who shaped Australian history. These wonderful stories are an inspiration to the next generation. They provide the encouragement to realise dreams. Kids will love the artwork, which is bold, bright, quirky and lots of fun.
Amazing Australian Women is available in Hardback and e-book
About Pamela Freeman and Sophie Beer
Pamela Freeman is an award-winning author, writing for both adults and children. She has a Doctorate of Creative Arts from the University of Technology, Sydney. Her historical novel The Black Dress won the NSW Premier’s History Prize in 2006 and her non-fiction book Desert Lake: The Story of Kati Thanda-lake Eyre, illustrated by Liz Anelli, was shortlisted for the 2017 NSW Premier’s Literary Awards and the Wilderness Society’s Environment Award for Children’s Literature and was a Notable Book in two categories in the 2017 Children’s Book Council of Australia Book Awards. Pamela lives in Sydney with her husband and their son, and teaches at the Australian Writer’s Centre.
Sophie Beer is an award-winning illustrator living in Brisbane. She is the winner of the 2016 SCBWI Penguin/Random House Portfolio Award. Sophie adores creating bright, fun designs with generous helpings of narrative and is particularly interested in children’s illustration. Reveling in colour, shape and texture, she lives by one simple rule: art should never be boring.