- This event has passed.
Le Dîner en Blanc – Brisbane
On Saturday 13 October, Le Dîner en Blanc – Brisbane will return bigger and whiter than ever, in the most requested secret location for its 7th edition. Marking its 30-year anniversary in Paris last month, this elegant secret affair has become a worldwide phenomenon and Brisbane’s foodie and fashion tradition of the year.
Last year in Brisbane, 3,000 foodies, fashionistas, and cultural enthusiasts were transported from mysterious meeting places to the secret location, revealed on the night as the historical Brisbane Showgrounds.
This year, the same rules apply: guests will gather at meeting points around the city before being taken by foot or bus to the secret venue. Adding to the mystery, no trace is left behind leaving the area completely as it was when they arrived.
Participation in this unique event happens in three stages:
- Phase 1, opening at 9 am on Friday 7 September, is for members who attended the previous year;
- Phase 2, opening at 9 am on Friday 14 September, is for new members who are referred by Phase 1 attendees;
- Phase 3, opening at 9 am on Friday 21 September is for people who signed up to the waitlist.
For the chance to get their hands on a ticket, people can now sign up to the waitlist at brisbane.dinerenblanc.com/register.
Le Dîner en Blanc – Brisbane host Brooke Williams said the elegant all-white event had cemented itself as one of Brisbane’s annual cultural calendar highlights.
“Over the past six years, we have seen the event sell out faster than the last, so much so that this year, in its seventh year, we have increased the event’s capacity to 3,500. However, we urge people to get their name on the waitlist now to avoid missing out,” Ms Williams said.
“The evening is such a special affair; it’s all about gathering together with your friends for a beautiful night of wining, dining and friendship in a spontaneous secret location – while celebrating beautiful Brisbane’s iconic and picturesque locations.”
About Le Diner En Blanc
Every summer in cities around the world, thousands of people dressed entirely in white descend on a landmark public space with everything they need for an elegant soirée in tow, including folding table and chairs, gourmet picnic food, fine china, silverware, and tablecloth. Over the course of the evening, the guests eat and celebrate amid live music and dancing. Many spend weeks in advance planning their menus and the white ensemble. The event offers the perfect occasion to express their unique fashion and design style; the often elaborate and creative outfits, fantastical hats, and decorative table settings are always a fabulous spectacle.
To maintain the uniqueness of Le Dîner en Blanc as well as staying true to tradition, guests must observe certain requirements and follow a few key rules:
- Once confirmed, each guest’s participation becomes mandatory, regardless of weather conditions. This is a rain or shine event.
- Dress code: elegant and white only. Originality is encouraged as long as it is stylish and tasteful.
- Table setting: all white!
- To ensure that the location secret is kept undisclosed until last minute, guests meet at an assigned departure location and are escorted by a Dîner en Blanc volunteer.
Guests must bring:
- A table, two white chairs, white tablecloth. However, an option for guests is to hire table setting packages via the Diner en Blanc e-store for convenient collection on the night.
- A picnic basket comprising fine food, white dinnerware and drinking vessels (no glass).
- A gourmet catered picnic basket for collection on the night is also available and a popular option for many guests. Guests are to purchase hampers through the Dîner en Blanc e-store during the initial ticket registration.
- Champagne and/or wine. Beer and hard liquor are prohibited.
- As per liquor laws/regulations, guests cannot bring their own alcohol. Guests wishing to enjoy some wine or Champagne must purchase online through the Dîner en Blanc e-store. Guests are welcome to bring their own non-alcoholic beverages.
For full details on the event’s rules and regulations, please visit brisbane.dinerenblanc.com.
Le Dîner en Blanc History
On June 3rd, Le Diner en Blanc de Paris marked its 30th anniversary! A record 17,000 guests from Paris and around the world gathered at the Esplanade des Invalides to celebrate this historic moment. Launched in Paris in 1988 by François Pasquier and a handful of friends, Le Dîner en Blanc has become a worldwide epicurean phenomenon. What was a “friends and word-of-mouth only” event has grown into an international sensation celebrated on six continents. While the technology behind the event may have changed over the years, the principles fuelling this fantastic event have not: guests continue to gather at a secret location for the sole purpose of sharing a gourmet meal with good friends in one of their city’s most beautiful public spaces. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in Montreal, Canada, Dîner en Blanc International is responsible for developing this secret posh picnic in 80 cities in 30 countries around the world. Each event is headed by passionate local organisers who fell in love with the concept and wanted to bring it to their city, giving this rendezvous a local flair. For more info, photos and videos of Dîner en Blanc events from around the world, visit dinerenblanc.com.
About the Hosts of Le Dîner en Blanc – Brisbane
Brisbane’s hosts Brooke Williams, Amy Grey and Kim Mayberry fell in love with the concept of Diner en Blanc and decided to share it with Brisbane. The ideals of the event fall perfectly in line with their interests in public space activation and the enhancement of creative culture and entertainment in Brisbane.