- This event has passed.
Festitalia returns to Brisbane on Sunday 14 October 2018.
CANCELLED DUE TO WET WEATHER
Brisbane’s famous Festitlaia, the one-day celebration of all things Italian, will be held on Sunday 14 October 2018.
The program includes the internationally acclaimed Gruppo Storico Fivizzano Flagthrowers direct from Italy, the Brisbane Tarantella Dancers, swordsmen Prima Spada, historical re-enactment specialists Pax Romana, Italian tenor Raffaele Pierno, Italian-Australian songstress Cosima de Vito and Diletta Luna from Brisbane, famed pizza acrobat Youssef Ben-Touati and over 30 flavour-makers. The event is a celebration of local and national Italian artists, entertainers, dancers, singers and performers and will be hosted by James Liotta, the award-winning stage, screen and television performer.
Festitalia 2018 will again be held at Spencer Park at Newmarket, home to the iconic Brisbane City Football Club, on Sunday October 14 from 11am to 6pm. Under the Patronage of the Italian Consulate in Brisbane, Festitalia is Queensland’s only official Italian Festival.
Highlights of Festitalia Brisbane
- The world famous Gruppo Storico Fivizzano Flag Throwers loved Brisbane so much in 2017 that by popular demand, they’re returning for a second year. Fourteen expert and flamboyant flag throwers will once again make the journey direct from Fivizzano in Italy to Brisbane. Flag throwing dates back to medieval Italian guilds, when the banner or flag was considered a symbol of purity and was not allowed to touch the ground during performances. The performers, known as sbandieratori, dress in medieval costumes and are accompanied by drummers known as tamburini.
- The Brisbane Tarantella Dancers will perform and teach the traditional southern Italian Tarantella dance!
- Over 30 flavour-makers will celebrate with Italian-inspired stalls and pop-ups, offering authentic espresso, pasta, pizza, and calamari to cannoli, gnocchi and Nutella doughnuts, granita to Italian meatballs, and more. And in breaking culinary news – there will be Cannoli and Gelato Eating Competitions as well as Nonna’s slipper toss!
Traditional Italian cooking demonstrations:
- Roberto D’anna from Ristorante Tartufo, who has been in Australia since 2014 after graduating from Milan’s prestigious Istituto Alberghiero Carlo Porta;
- Andrea Ravezzani from Noosa Waterfront Restaurant and Bar – a favourite of Italian-loving residents and visitors on the Sunshine Coast;
- Youssef Ben-Touati – an international award-winning pizzaiolo and pizza acrobat (think Australian Ninja Warrior meets Masterchef!),
- Rossano Tantulli from Pavarotti’s Italian – a third generation restaurateur from the Tuscan region of Italy, he brings with him the highest credentials from the Chef’s Federation of Italy and has won accolades and awards for his cooking throughout Italy and Europe, and
- Alessandro Motta – from Casa Motta will be hand-making fresh buffalo mozzarella.
- Australian songstress and ARIA award-winning vocal powerhouse Cosima de Vito, will be joined by Italian tenor Raffaele Pierno. Raffaele’s reputation as a Maestro di Voce has taken him across Europe as a concert soloist. Other entertainers include Italian- Brisbane-based Diletta Luna, and the classically trained singer-songwriter and Jason Fichera, an acoustic pop/rock artist who rose to fame representing Australia at the 17th Annual World Championships of Performing Arts (WCOPA 2013).
- This year, Festitalia celebrates the ancient art of glassblowing. The origins of glassmaking in Venice go back to the times of the Roman Empire; live kilns and talented glassblowers will demonstrate throughout the day.
- The artistic swordsmanship of Prima Spada will be on display, celebrating the European masters of the 16th and 17th centuries. Thirty-minute lessons will be held throughout the day.
- Festitalia goers can time travel back to the Roman Empire with historical re-enactments by the acclaimed Pax Romana and exhibitions by Mare Nostrvm and Regio Esercito.
- Commedia dell’Arte roaming characters including wonderfully costumed Venetian ladies will happily pose for photographs plus there will be fun activities for the bambini including a Palio Bimbi – a hobby horse race and Past’Arte where kids can create a doll’s dress on paper from pasta shapes.
- The Talk Italian Tent returns – perfect for those wanting to brush up on their conversational Italian!
Festitalia promotes the richness of the Italian cultural heritage by passionately applauding the contributions made by the strong Italian community in Queensland and is a celebration of life, love and family.
About Festitalia – Brisbane’s Italian Festival
Date: Sunday 14 October 2018 from 11.00am – 6.00pm
Location: Spencer Park – 42 Newbery St, Newmarket – free shuttle from Wilston Station by 13cabs
Buy your tickets online: www.festitalia.com.au
Tickets: $10 Adults (13+), $6 Concessions, Children under 12 yrs FREE.